Choose wooden pallets or plastic pallets on warehouse shelves?
Suitable pallets for warehouses|Common pallets in warehouses
In the warehouse, the shelves mainly store heavier goods. When the forklift is working, the goods need to be stacked on pallets before they can be stored on the shelf or taken out of the shelf by the forklift. Pallets are more common in various large warehouses. So, should we choose wooden pallets or plastic pallets on the shelves in the warehouse? Let’s discuss which pallet is more suitable for warehouse shelves.
You can choose wooden pallets or plastic pallets on the warehouse shelves. However, as the logistics industry’s requirements for production conditions, storage conditions, process control, and quality management continue to increase, the shortcomings of wood pallets have slowly emerged. Wood pallets cannot meet the requirements in terms of hygienic conditions and standardized production. Plastic pallets have good integrity, meet sanitary and clean standards, and are easy to wash and disinfect, so they are slowly becoming popular in the market. At the same time, compared with wood pallets, plastic pallets have the characteristics of lightweight, no nails, acid and alkali resistance, and no mildew in use, and their service life is 5-7 times that of wood pallets.
Both plastic pallets and wooden pallets are common in cargo storage. But which one is more suitable for use on the shelves in the warehouse? This needs to be combined with the advantages of different pallets. Usually, we recommend that you use plastic pallets. Compared with wooden pallets, the advantages of plastic pallets are becoming more and more obvious. More and more people choose to use plastic pallets on warehouse shelves.
Advantages of plastic pallets
1. Durable: The use time of plastic pallets is 5-10 times that of wood pallets. The injection molding machine or compression molding machine integrally forms the pallet during production, and the structure is stable.
2. Clean and hygienic： Plastic pallets are easy to clean and conducive to recycling. Various countries are promoting the use of plastic pallets. It can be produced from waste plastics, which can better meet environmental protection standards.
3. Global market trends： The production environment of plastic pallets is high temperature and high pressure and does not carry pests, so it is free of fumigation and inspection and can be directly exported to Europe, America, and other countries. The European Union has required that plastic pallets must be used in the transportation of all food, beverages, and medicines.
4. Applicable scope： Plastic pallets will become more and more popular in some commodity markets, such as the food, beverage, and pharmaceutical industries. According to the requirements of different factories, plastic pallets can be made into various colors and printed with company logos and marks.
5. The cost of pallets： Compared with wooden pallets, although the purchase cost of plastic pallets is higher, the used plastic pallets can still be sold at a price of about 30% of the original value or recycled by plastic pallet manufacturers. Generally, the service life of plastic pallets is much longer than that of wooden pallets, so as the use time increases, the total cost of plastic pallets is less.
Choose pallets according to the shelf structure
The appropriate number of pallet positions is designed for each layer of the pallet rack. This should be designed according to the size of the pallet. Generally speaking, each group of heavy-duty racks is designed with 2 pallet positions on each layer, considering the load capacity and specifications of the rack.
Leave enough space between pallets and pallets, pallets and shelves. Usually, 10mm is left between the pallet and the pallet to facilitate forklift access, and there should be enough space between the pallet and the shelf to prevent the forklift from colliding with the shelf.
The height of each shelf left for pallet goods should be moderate. When designing the shelves, the total height of the pallets plus the goods will be considered, and the net height of the comprehensive warehouse can be used to ensure that there is enough space for each shelf.